Pages

Monday 1 June 2020

Box-checking in the Vale, 30/31 May

Finished my first round of Barn Owl and Kestrel box checks over the weekend and the second half wasn't quite as productive as the first with several boxes down. Nevertheless, it looks like I have seven Barn Owl broods to return to but just two of Kestrel.

A bonus came when a friend with a private box sent me a photo of a large Tawny Owl chick looking out of the entrance hole. Knowing that this was not only late in the season, but also that these chicks were likely to start branching at any time, I popped round immediately and ringed a healthy brood of three good-sized Tawnys - almost certainly the only ones I'll ring this year having missed the main season due to lockdown. Later that night, the owner wandered out to watch the sunset and took the marvellous photo below showing one chick starting to explore!

The pie chart shows the breakdown of my box occupancy this year.

Pete


 Barn Owl
 Kestrel clutch
 Stock Doves
 'branching' Tawny Owl chick

1 comment:

  1. The 4 little owl boxes I went to check lastwlast weekend like this. Bees,G tit, too many cows (not in the box) and empty. The last one was particularly disappointing as it's been used every year, but does always fail, last year was the first time it got to chick stage and then they got washed out.

    ReplyDelete