Pages

Sunday 30 June 2013

Owling

I've not posted much on this subject this year, because there isn't much to post. As we're hearing in so many places, the season is turning out to be a bit of a shocker. I haven't ringed any Tawny Owl chicks in 2013 and I have only found one pair of Barn Owls incubating so far and I've checked more than half my boxes, including most of my 'bankers'.

My Kestrels seem to be doing a little better and I should have a few broods to ring in the next few days. It will be interesting to see if there are any signs of what they've been eating. 

And I've doubled my Little Owl average - with two broods ringed. But best of all, I caught the mother in the second box and she was ringed. It turned out she'd been one of the chicks Ian & I had ringed in a nearby box in 2012. I wonder if being raised in a nest box encourages you to breed in one?

Pete



No comments:

Post a Comment