Pages

Tuesday 29 August 2023

Portland Bird Observatory Visit, 18-27 August

As part of broadening my ringing experience, I visited Portland Bird Observatory in Dorset for just
over a week this August, hoping to catch part of the autumn migration.

The Observatory is situated in the Old Lower Light near Portland Bill, providing accommodation for
up to 24 guests to monitor birds in the area. Since its inception in 1961, over 250,000 birds have
been ringed at Portland Bird Observatory.

My visit began at the tail end of a storm, limiting ringing opportunities for the first day. The
weather then settled down and warmed up for the rest of the week, bringing in some migrants.
The main species ringed were Goldfinch, Willow Warbler, and Sedge Warbler. I was introduced to
some new species for me to ring, such as Stonechat, Grey Wagtail, Grasshopper Warbler, Spotted
Flycatcher, and Wheatear. On the Monday, a Melodious Warbler was caught in the net, giving me a
great opportunity to ring this rare bird. It remained in the area, when it was later re-trapped on the
Tuesday and Saturday.

By setting various tapes, we managed to target Swallows, Sand Martins and Tree Pipits in the fields. Efforts were made to spring trap Rock Pipits as part of a colour ringing project, but with no success while I was there.

Moth-trapping is a daily occurrence at the Observatory. I had never engaged with it before, but was
helped by many knowledgeable people to get to grips with the common species. I have been
inspired to continue this activity and expand my knowledge in the future.

Many thanks to Martin, Jodie and Mark for being so welcoming and helpful throughout my stay.

Joshua

Stonechat

Melodious Warbler

Grey Wagtail


Wheatear

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment